After reading Geeman's thread on ranking Awnsheghlien and Ersheglien, I've been thinking that Bloodform and Bloodtrait could definitely use some work. In particular, differentiating and distinguishing the major and great versions of those blood abilities.

As things stand, I believe the only difference between the two in the BRCS (p. 175, under the template description for advancing an awneshegh) is that the Great version allows the character to gain a monster ability every level of monster advancement, while the Major ability allows for 3 monster abilities per 4 monster levels gained.

Is it just me, or does this seem like a pretty weak (and messy) distinction between the two?

Here's my suggestion:

Break down the advantages of the various monster traits, and assign a point value to each based on their advantages and disadvantages. This should include all aspects of a monster template: creature type (different types have definite advantages over others, like higher HD, more high saves, better BAB, etc.), racial skill bonuses or penalties, racial ability modifiers, special attacks and defenses, special abilities, etc.

That's the hard part. The advantage is that once you have a point value assigned to various strengths and weaknesses (which would grant extra points), it becomes easy to differentiate the Bloodform/-Trait abilities.
The Great ability simply grants more points per monster level than the major ability. And I would make the gap larger than in the BRCS (where the Great ability is only about 25% stronger than the Major one).

I would go with something more like a 2:3 ratio for Major/Great. For instance, Major grants 12 points per monster level worth of abilities, while Great grants 18. This makes the awn-/ersheghlien with Great bloodlines and matching Bloodtrait/-Form abilities more appropriately powerful and impressive creatures.

Right now I'm still brainstorming a good point system, but here are some guidelines I'm thinking (before I go through a lot of work for nothing). Anyone who wants to help with this and get on board is welcome to post ideas.

The basic point cost of a monster level should first be balanced against a normal character level. In other words, does the base racial template make the character weaker than a PC, or stronger? Some types, like the Humanoid type, are decidedly weaker than a PC class level. Others, like Outsiders, are definitely stronger.

Weaker types might grant extra points to buy on other [compensating] abilities, such as ability increases, racial skill modifiers, or special abilities. Strong templates would cost points each level, and racial types that are roughly equivalent to PC classes should have a cost of 0 (the baseline comparison for measuring power of a level of advancement). I don't have specific costs down yet, as I'd need to study the Monster Manual and Savage Species to get a better sense of balance between racial templates. Any help by those of you who have studied this sort of thing more intently (Geeman?) is welcomed here! :huh:

Some Sample Point Costs: (based partly on the BRCS guidelines)

Some racial template possibilities (these are very much up for debate):
Outsider: cost 8 points per level
Magical Beast, Monstrous Humanoid: 6 points per level
Undead, Constructs: 4 points per level
Vermin, Fey, Humanoids, and Abberrations: gain 2 points per level

Racial Skill Bonuses: 2 points per +2 skill bonus

Racial Ability Modifiers: 8 points per +2 ability modifier

Natural Armor: 3 points per +1 Natural Armor bonus

Bonus Feats/Special Abilities (such as Improved Grab): 8 points each as a default for feat-equivalents

Other special abilities: the range of possible abilities based on changing anatomy and creature type is almost endless:
-New type of movement at 30' speed: 12 points (ex: flying, burrowing, or swimming)
-Additional Speed to one movement type: 4 points per 10' of speed increase
-Natural Weapons: base of 4 points per d6 of damage per natural weapon gained; +2 points per increased damage die increment (6 points for d8, 8 points for d10, 10 points for 2d6, etc.); use the DMG for guidelines on damage die increases, and keep the damage appropriate to the creature type.
-New Perception Types:
=Darkvision 60': 4 points (+2 per additional 30&#39
=Blindsight or Tremorsense: 8 points per 30' of radius
-Natural Resistances:
=Damage Reduction: 3 points per point of DR; vulnerability should be appropriate to monster type. If the vulnerability is exceedingly rare (such as Moraskorr), double the cost ( 6 per point of DR).
=Energy Resistance: 1 point per per point of DR vs. 1 type of energy (fire, cold, electricity, acid, or sonic). [Energy immunities seem to have disappeared from the 3.5 MM, or at least have become exceedingly rare]
=Elemental Subtype (usually Fire or Cold): 8 points (this is now one of the only abilities hat grants energy immunities, and the opposing elemental weakness only happens when saves are failed).
=Regeneration or Fast Healing: 2 points per level (i.e., 10 points = 5 hp/round)

Size Increase: 16 points per increase in size category, though this should be carefully restricted by the template type (Giants could go to Huge or bigger, but Humanoids shouldn't get bigger than Large, IMO). The increase grants all of the advantages (and disadvantages) of a size increase: bonuses to Str, Con, reach, and natural armor, penalties to Dex and AC, etc.

Extra HD: 4 points per extra HD based on racial template (usually d8); these are only available if a size increase has occurred. As per BRCS, the limits are +2 HD max. from Small to Medium, +4 HD ma. from Med. to Large, +8 HD max. from Large to Huge, etc.

Spell-Like Abilities: 1 point per spell level of power; usable once per day.
-For multiple daily use, multiply times the number of uses per day (ex.: 3 points per spell level for a power usable 3 times per day);
-5 points per spell level for a power usable at will, once per round as a standard action (2 points for a 0-level spell-like ability usable at will).
-Spell level should not exceed 1/2 total character level.

[Personal Note: BRCS uses these powers as "at will" by default; I think this is drastically overpowered compared to character levels of spellcasters].

Design Note: All advances should be appropriate to the monster type in its "final form." However, that final form might also evolve into something beyond the base creature type in time (like a giant sized version, for example). I would allow such a "super form" only after all of the base monster traits have developed.

All design points should be spent each level of monster advancement. However, I would allow points to be spent into undeveloped powers as a "down payment" for the next ability to be developed. For instance, if a creature wants to grow from Large to Huge but has only 5 points left, they could spend 5 points into a size increase this level, and it would cost only 11 points when the next monster level was gained.

The Monster Ability system in the BRCS is OK, but I would prefer to break it sown into something a bit more exacting so that DM's have some more solid guidelines when designing an awnsheghlien or ersheghlien.
And even if you keep the system for its simplicity, all I ask is that the Great and Major abilities be given a bit more distinction in the levels of power they represent. Great awnshegh and ershegh should be truly great.