After the tests are over, she is allowed to rest for a time, but at sunset Rhaele is brought to the ordeal room and told, **"The ordeal is a test of will and character. You are not to sleep until the door opens again. Those who sleep never emerge from the chamber again. Many who emerge, come forth changed. Some turn away from knighthood, others are found dead in the morning when the door is open. You will be tempered and tested as a sword is, and you will either emerge stronger or be broken."**

Though the outside of the chamber is carved with scenes of great deeds by knights of the past, the inside is plain. There is a stand holding her armor and weapons, and a place to kneel and pray, but no place to sit.

Rhaele, dressed in the plainest of white tunics, kneels before the door before entering, but does not pray, at least not out loud. She enters the chamber with dedication, but some trepidation.

Rhaele is still tired after the hard day of testing, she finds herself bored and the room seems to grow misty. She finds herself threatening to nod off but jerks back awake...finding herself abruptly back in the orphanage...but not as herself, as one of the sisters who tend the orphans.

She hears a knock on the door and rises to answer. Outside the door she sees no adults, though she hears the sound of footsteps fleeing and finds a babe in a basket only a few days old, along with a small purse (small, but with gold in it) and a note, *"Take care of Rhaele, for her blood is noble though I can not keep her."*

She sees that the sisters do take care of her, and try to shield her from the other girls, who envy her because she has the noble hair and a dowry and is certain to be able to marry a Noble when she is old enough. She sees that she is taught more of history and manners than the other girls, though the sisters do their best not to give her any other special treatment.

She sees the sisters of the order keeping her in their prayers, especially the one who found her. Hoping that Rhaele will understand they must treat all the girls as equally and fairly as they can and grow to see that it is the justice of Haelyn they offer.

She sees how she is pointed out to a visitor who is looking for a girl to work, knowing he will see her hair and mention it, but not take her as she is too young for work yet.

She sees Stalbin arrive and is there when the purse is handed over to him as she is bound to him as a page. Money they never spent because it was hers, even though it might have made the lives of the orphans easier.

Rhaele blinks as she finds herself again in the chamber, which is still filled with mists.

Rhaele stands, a tear running down her cheek. Had they really done that, was that what her life had been...could have been...she needed to ask Stalban, she needed to...she needed to stay. This was her Ordeal. her knighthood. she takes a deep breath. squares her shoulders, "what else you got chamber" she thinks to herself, peering through the mists

Nothing happens for a long time, the time candle burns slowly down and her eyes grow heavy. She blinks and finds herself in the palace, waking up...wait, this is not her room, it is the Thane's room. She is wearing clothes that are heavy, and well-made, but not ostentatious, as she has seen the Thane do. She walks over and looks in the mirror...and she seems to be herself, but at least twice her current age.

There is a knock on the door, and a page enters, **"Milady, it is time to rise for morning service. The Senechal will see you with the morning schedule at breakfast."**

As her mind clears, she remembers that she has been Thane for a number of years, that she was appointed Heir once she accepted the truth of Haelyn. She had changed the law restricting other temples as soon as she could, and the land was better for the guidance of the Druids in conservation. The trade guilds had been united into one under Guildmaster Leonardo, who was able to open trade with the Elves and Goblins...with her own help and that of the Wizard.

The biggest trouble she has is that she is being pressured to marry, and both the current heirs to Bourine and Avanil are pressing for her hand.

With her acknowledgment by her father, she is also heir to the city of Anuire, which she did not really seek, but puts her in the position of having to decide who, if anyone, will ascend the Iron Throne. It is a huge weight of responsibility.

She finds herself looking forward to the service, perhaps Haelyn can enlighten her to how to solve the situation between the two strongest contenders for the throne without Talinie becoming a battlefield.

Rhaele is torn. Is the chamber baiting her, showing what might be if only she put her difficulties with the temple aside...She flexed a hand, full of youthful strength, that a moment ago had been holding papers and cloth, was the chamber her showing what might come to pass...if she put down the blade, all the good she could do if she focused on politics, alliances...family?

Or was it a reminder of the weight of responsibility Thane Thuriene Donalls was under, a reminder of all the things she had to balance on a daily basis. A reminder that she needed a strong and independent tool who could be her operative and make this future, or an even better one come to pass. Leo would be a decent choice for guildmaster, if the guilds would ever accept him...

Rhaele silently thanked the chamber, for the perspective...she must not forgot the larger stakes. But it wasn't Haelyn who would solve all her problems for her. She needed to do that herself. She nodded. Determined.

Again time passes before she again feels tired and, in a blink, she finds herself elsewhere. She realizes she is chained in a dark room somewhere, from the smell of it, a dungeon, and none too clean.

There is a clank as a key is turned and her eyes are hurt by the light, even though it is a single torch. It is a large hobgoblin wearing a horned devil-mask.

He says, "So, thief, are you ready to choose? You took the armor which was meant for me, now that I have you in my power I will have your blood, one way or the other. Which will it be, will you be a sacrifice to grant me your strength, or will you be the bride of Baron Bloodskull?"

She knows her powers have been suppressed, she has nothing that can free her from her fate.

Rhaele grits her teeth, trying not to make a sound, she struggles against the bonds. helpless, she is helpless. How did she let herself get captured...she couldn't remember, how badly had she hit her head...she needed time to think, to escape, if she agreed to his demand...she would live. that's all she had to do...she would escape she would find a way....

but that might give him the power. this enemy of Talinie...wasn't there a ring, a spell...the wizard...her death would not give him anything. it would serve the realm. Siobhan would use it well. "Haelyn preserve me" she whispers. then spits at the masked hobgoblin. her choice made.

Rhaele snaps back to the present, and realizes, belatedly, that she had no idea in the vision how long she had been a prisoner. The spell could well have lapsed. She looks at the time candle and sees that the visions have been taking place roughly every two hours, meaning there should be one more vision yet to go.

Rhaele snaps back to the present, and realizes, belatedly, that she had no idea in the vision how long she had been a prisoner. The spell could well have lapsed. She looks at the time candle and sees that the visions have been taking place roughly every two hours, meaning there should be one more vision yet to go.

Time passes and the candle burns down, as she anticipated, the mists in the chamber gather and deepen, then...

Rhaele breaks away from Mama Ketti and rushes over to hug Daddy. Mama Suliene says with mock severity, "Rhaele, your father is working now."

The man with her father, a severe-looking man with a dragon on his face, shakes his head and says, "The child needs discipline."

Daddy replies, "She is only three, she will learn Darian." He then turns to address Rhaele, "Your mother is right, Rhaele, I have to work right now, but I will come by to see you later."

Rhaele enters her father's study, it is early in the morning and he is working with a huge fancy book. She asks, "What are you doing daddy?"

He replies, "Studying magic. I have to study every day while my mind is fresh so my magic can be ready if I need it."

She asks, "Can you show me some magic daddy?"

He makes a gesture with his right hand and speaks a word that sounds funny and a translucent hand appears and moves across the room to grab a feather quill and bring it to his real hand.

Rhaele says, "That looks easy." She repeats the gesture and the word and a copy of her hand appears, though she accidentally knocks over a pot of ink with it.

Her father laughs and says, "Looks like it is time for you to start school."

Rhaele sits opposite to her father playing chess, as he moves a pawn, he says, "Being Chancellor is much like playing chess, you have to anticipate the moves of others, and know when to make a sacrifice...and when not to accept one offered."

Rhaele moves a knight, "Your queen is in check."

Suliene dances with Rhaele through the steps of a formal dance, pausing when Rhaele makes a mistake to gently correct her and show her the right way to do it. She says, "You have to get it right dear, the ball is for your graduation. Think of it like casting a spell, you do it wrong and you ruin the effect."

Rhaele asks, "Suliene, do you ever resent the fact that I am not your daughter, but rather the daughter of father's mistress?"

Suliene drops her eyes and sighs, "I did at first, but as I could not have children of my own, I soon came to love you as if you were mine. I might wish that you were a bit more like your father, a wizard instead of a Sorcerer, but I think you will be a good Chancellor when your father retires. Just be careful, you need advisors you can trust, and be especially careful of offers for your hand. Your virtue, your bloodline, and your status are all valuable commodities, be careful with all of them."

Rhaele stands in the College of Mages and touches the slumbering Source below. Anuire is too big for anything but the most minor of Sources to survive, but even a source this small can serve to anchor a Ley Line. If she can tap it, and find another source outside, she might begin to restore the network of lines that once served the mages of the Kingdom. She knows the source is still here, she just needs to awaken it...

Rhaele stands with the wizards on the walls of Anuire, raining Battle Magic on the armies below. Avanil has gone too far this time, actually trying to seize the city. He will learn that one does not go against the largest collection of wizards and sorcerers in the land without facing the consequences. Mostly, she is just serving in the crew assisting in casting the Battle Magic. She is yet a minor mage...but her Battlewise lets her know when it is best to use the spells they have, so the other listen to her.

She has known this day was coming, and has hated the thought. She stands beside her father and holds his hand. He reaches out his other hand a brushes a tear from her cheek, "Don't let them see you cry Rhaele. They can not think you weak if you are to survive. You have to be strong enough to keep the Iron Throne away from the unworthy. It is our duty as Chancellor to preserve it for a good and just Emperor to claim. I have to go, but I can be happy knowing I have a good heir to take my place."

His hand drops and soon after he breathes his last, the final words having taken all his remaining strength.

Rhaele feels the blood inside her growing greatly in strength as her father's bloodline fills her, but would gladly trade the whole of it to have him back and healthy.

She sets her shoulders and steps out of the chamber, she has to prepare for her investiture as Chancellor and she can not let any of the witnesses think she is weak.

A life flashing before her eyes. Power, love...loss. Could she have been that girl? Wielded that power...felt that love? she shakes her head, trying to clear it of lingering spellcraft, and blink aware tears that have nothing to do with death and everything to do with fathers.

Had she just seen the face of her real father? what did this chamber know? Was it an image, an ideal pulled from her mind? or did the power that invested this place really know whose blood and power coursed through her veins...she needed answers. She turned, opening her mouth to speak, to demand the chamber show his face again, give her the names, the places...but she holds herself back at the last second.

It's a distraction, a fate that never was, cannot be, and would only lead her down a darker one of despair. She takes a deep breath. Talinie first. She didn't have a mother but she does have the Thane. She did not have a father but she does have Stalban. Talinie. She Cannot wield magic, but she can defend it with a blade. She kneels. Slow breath. Mist helping her re-focus

A thought comes to her, if her father does acknowledge her, does that mean she will actually be heir to the seat of Chancellor? Where does her duty lie?

Breath in, breath out. Chivarly and knighthood is about knowing your duty, your purpose. Breath in. Breath out. To whom you owe loyalty and whom you have to protect. She had never known this father. Could the vision be genuine? All of Anuire...she shook her head to clear it. Her duty, at least at first, was to the people who raised her. Breathe. The country who gave her a chance, gave Jinn a chance, gave Leo a chance, the people who need her protection. Once Talinie was safe, she could think about the bigger picture, and see what awaited her in the crumbling heart of the empire that once stretched across so much of the known world...Anuire would have to wait. This chamber wasnt testing her resolve, it was tempering it, hammering it. And she would not break.

Rhaele remembers, Caliedhe Dosiere has not known of her existence, he never abandoned her. He may know now, if her mother has reached Anuire. It is not fair to judge him for her mother's choice.

Rhaele realizes that her duties to the Thane have always been training her to be something more. Donalls might not know who her father is, but she has always known Rhaele was noble and has been training her to assume her station. Learning to handle dealing with other countries is simply the next step.

Deep breath. Thurazor would be the first test. And she was glad she would not have to face it alone...she hadn't forgotten the hobgoblin Baron or his twisted words.

Rhaele looks at the candle and realizes that the door will soon be open.

She brushes away the tears and stands. silently thanking the room. Whether any of it was true, the warnings, the visions, the past, the future. It had given her much to think about, and be grateful for. She whipped her eyes dry on her sleeve and set her jaw with determination. Thurazor...here I come